Thursday, December 9, 2010

hold my hand

Ten years ago, almost eleven now. I can't believe my firstborn will be eleven years old in less than a month. Wow. When he was a baby, about six months old, he hated to ride in the car. I thought babies liked riding. I thought it put them to sleep. Yeah, not him. He was supposed to be rear facing in his car seat, but he wasn't. Me and all of my 20 year old naivety, turned his car seat around to face the front with the thought that if he could see me then he wouldn't cry. Wrong. He screamed the entire time we rode. After many screaming rides, I finally figured out how to stop him. All I had to do was hold his sweet little hand. I would drive with my left and reach back to him. He would put his little hand in mine and I would rub it and he'd settle down. I could tell he still wasn't happy but at least he wasn't crying.
That was way back then, when I had a little 1997 Nissan Altima. I could easily reach in the back seat. Now, I have a mini. Van, that is. It's really an SUV when I want it to be. The point is that it is much bigger than my little car. So when Owen is crying I stretch my arm back there (and try not to steer to the left) and rub his little head. He's rear facing, by the way. He doesn't realize now what I am doing so he doesn't appreciate it but it makes me wonder if he'll be like his brother was in a few months. Um, he'll be six months old in about four months. What?! Time flies when you're having fun getting no sleep.
On the other hand, when Azlynn was six months old she was a dream. An angel. Slept through the night in her own bed. Entertained herself and didn't require much. Sat in the backseat, rear facing, and never cried. My, how things have changed.
Another 6 month happening worth mentioning....Evan got his first tooth on July 16, 2000. He was six months and 9 days old. I was such a proud Mama.

No comments:

Post a Comment